For centuries, massage therapy has been used, by healers, as a health care method. Today, many people seek massage for its soothing effect on the body and mind, and for relaxation. However, this technique has been used for everything from healing sports injuries and relieving chronic pain, to alleviating prolonged symptoms of chronic illnesses. Here are thirteen facts about message therapy that you might find interesting:
1. In Ancient Greece, athletes used massage to improve circulation and ease tension in their joints. Professional athletes continue to use massage therapy to this day. In fact, it was even used by competitors in the 1996 Olympics.
2. Massage therapy dates back as far as 3000 B.C. Early uses of this technique were found recorded via pictographs on tombs from ancient Egypt. It was not very long after this that the Chinese also started using massage for the purpose of allowing energy to flow more freely between the body and mind.
3. Japanese monks introduced massage therapy to their country after they studied it in China and learned the various practices and techniques.
4. Massage therapy is gaining popularity and acceptance, both in Western culture and medicine. Clinics, hospitals and doctors all across the united states are starting to offer massage treatments. Furthermore, roughly ten percent of Americans claim their doctors have recommended massage therapy to them as a means of treating their various ailments.
5. Over the years, research has shown that massage is beneficial to people suffering from various ailments such as, arthritis, anorexia, ADHD, asthma and autism. It also helps relieve pain for patients suffering from cancer and other conditions of a similar nature.
6. Massage therapy is a rapidly expanding profession. Currently, there are over 250,000 massage therapist throughout America.
7. On average, the price of a Swedish massage is $50 or more, depending on the location and how long the session last. Usually the cost of a massage will be higher in large cities.
8. Swedish massage is the most sought after throughout the U.S., as the well as the most commonly recognized.
9. Each year, over one forth of the American population seeks the services of a massage therapist.
10. Among alternative and complementary medicine, there exists more than two hundred various techniques of body manipulation, including over eighty various recognized methods of massage.
11. Massage therapy can be performed anywhere, on a bed, a couch, a bench, a table, or a chair. Also, it can be applied to a specific area, or the entire body, with or without the use of lotions and oils.
12. Tui-na, which is a Chinese word meaning push-pull, is used globally to refer to Chinese massage.
13. Greek women took massage seriously, adopting it as a vital part of their regular beauty routines.
Massage therapy has a rich history, tracing back more than five thousand years to a time when individuals used herbs and oils to massage away their aches and pains. Massage techniques are thought to be one of the first remedies for pain, and a method of creating a sense of well-being and peace.